Unit 1: Business culture and responsibilities
Learning Outcome: 01
Task 1.1 Produce a report on ‘improving the sustainability within a business environment’ by ‘analyzing the benefits of keeping the waste to a minimum.
Sustainable development is good business in itself. It creates opportunities for suppliers of ‘green consumers’, developers of environmentally safer materials and processes, firms that invest in eco-efficiency, and those that engage themselves in social well-being. These enterprises will generally have a competitive advantage. They will earn their local community’s goodwill and see their efforts reflected in the bottom line.
It has become a cliché that environmental problems are substantial and that economic growth contributes to them. A common response is stricter environmental regulation, which often inhibits growth. The result can be a trade-off between a healthy environment on the one hand and healthy growth on the other. As a consequence, opportunities for business may be constrained. However, there are some forms of development that are both environmentally and socially sustainable. They lead not to a trade-off but to an improved environment, together with the development that does not draw down our environmental capital. This is what sustainable development is all about – a revolutionary change in the way we approach these issues. Businesses and societies can find approaches that will move towards all three goals – environmental protection, social wellbeing, and economic development – at the same time.
While business traditionally seeks precision and practicality as the basis for its planning efforts, sustainable development is a concept that is not amenable to the simple and universal definition. It is fluid and changes over time in response to increased information and society’s evolving priorities.
Our Recommended Resources:
Factors affecting recycling
The opportunities presented for the recycling of materials are very much dependent on the individual circumstances of your own institution and your recycling contractors. The likely success of such initiatives may depend on:
- collection method (segregated or mixed materials)
- space for collection and storage of reusable and recyclables
- geographical location, particularly in relation to markets for reprocessing materials
- size of institution and volume of recyclable material
- Other important factors include local authority facilities, charging structure and support, etc.
Task 1.2(a): Write a report on the agreed procedures for ‘recycling’
The present age is the age of competition in every sphere of human performance, especially in the global business sector. In this case, the marketer seeks the procedures by which they can recycle their waste in the industry. There are two types of waste in the organizational environment: some wastes are non-recyclable and some wastes are recyclable.
- On condition that consumption and drinking are prohibited in laboratories, nearly all
non-hazardous laboratory wastes are going to be reusable.
- The non-hazardous laboratory wastes that aren’t reusable are going to be
dry and then not spoil the mixed dry recyclables.
- For these reasons, non-recyclable non-hazardous laboratory wastes
should be disposed of within the Laboratory employment bins.
- The Materials Recovery Facility can handle little quantities of nonrecyclable
non-hazardous laboratory wastes fitly.
Recycle of Miscellaneous things at Tesco Plc
- Cinnamon boxes should be free from hazards before disposal.
- Any solid or fluid baggage should be removed and disposed of in
accordance with the section fluid Packages/Dry Ice below.
- Little cinnamon boxes are often placed in an exceeding bin bag and left for
collection by O&G workers.
- Giant cinnamon boxes should be taken to the Laboratory Waste
- The waste sub-contractor can handle cinnamon boxes fitly.
Coolant Packages/Dry Ice
Fluid Packages (gel bags)
- Should be free from hazards before disposal.
- Should be at (or close to) close temperature before disposal in
order to not cause cold burns.
- Service Users get rid of fluid packages/gel baggage as
Hazardous Laboratory waste if the directions on the
packages/bags state this to be a suitable disposal methodology.
- If the directions on the fluid packages/gel baggage don’t state
that they’re risky for disposal, they must be placed into a
Laboratory Residual waste bin.
- The Materials Recovery Facility can handle non-hazardous
coolant packages/gel baggage fitly.
Besides these, there are separate processes of recycling Dry Ice, Large Packaging, Batteries, and Toner Cartridges, Laboratory instrumentation and so many recycling methods in the respective sector and its instruments.
Task 1.2(b): Write a report on the agreed procedures for ‘disposing of waste’
Waste is classified into three main groups of waste:
All waste should be stored in secure areas until collected. Waste disposal companies licensed with the EPA will collect all clinical and pharmaceutical waste for disposal in specialized waste disposal facilities, which are also licensed by the EPA.
Following steps are performed by the marketer to dispose of their industrial waste and make waste to a minimum:
The first step in properly managing waste is monitoring. This includes identifying and assessing the needs of the entity – be it a household or a commercial organization, and identifying all opportunities for recycling and minimizing waste output…………